Imagine for a moment how much more enjoyable and productive life might be in the absence of such overwhelming stress.
How STRESSED are you? Find out and start feeling better today. Stress is seemingly unavoidable these days. Technology enables us to work almost anywhere at any time. Balancing responsibilities with work and family in a healthy way is more challenging than ever.
EVALUATE YOUR STRESS INDICATORS
The following examples represent a sample of the common physical, emotional and behavioral stress reactions. Read through the following list of indicators to gain more insight:
- Back pain, headaches, nausea, jaw or fist clenching, muscle tension, etc.
- Difficulty with short-term memory, reduced attention span, or distractibility
- Feeling short-tempered; arguing with coworkers or loved ones
- Frequent worrying, or fearing the worst possible outcomes in situations you’re facing
- Beginning or increasing behaviors such as gambling or use of internet pornography
- Overeating, skipping meals, or regular snacking on nonnutritional foods
EVALUATE YOUR STRESS MANAGEMENT STRATEGIES
The following examples represent stress-reducing practices. Read through these to see whether or not you are practicing healthy stress-management strategies.
- Being closely connected with family and friends who provide support and encouragement
- Regularly engaging in healthy, stress relieving activities like sports and vigorous exercise
- Regularly engaging in enjoyable activities such as listening to music, dancing, or hobbies
- Centering thoughts through practicing mindfulness, meditation or worship
- Getting good sleep; sleeping 7-9 hours each night, waking up feeling rested
- Managing responsibilities and workload by saying no to overly demanding expectations